Garden City, KS, welcome sign IMG from the garden to the city pdf. File:Kansas official transportation map legend. In February 1878, James R.
Fulton, arrived at the present site of Garden City. Main Street ran directly north and south, dividing William D. As soon as they could get building material, they erected two frame houses. Fulton building on his land, on the east side of Main Street, a house one story and a half high, with two rooms on the ground and two rooms above. This was called the Occidental Hotel. No other houses were built in Garden City until November 1878, when James R. Walker each put up a building.
The Fultons tried to get others to settle here, but only a few came, and at the end of the first year there were only four buildings. Finney County in 1879, with completion of the “Garden City Ditch”. The ditch helped to launch an agricultural boom in southwestern Kansas. Buffalo” Jones, arrived in Garden City for an antelope hunt in January 1879. The railroad agreed to place its station at Garden City. In the spring of 1879, more people began arriving to homestead in the area. During the years of 1885-1887, a rush was made for Western Kansas, and a settler arrived for every quarter section.
Garden City, and people went there to make filings on their land. Lawyers also arrived in Garden City. Holmes, the agent for the sale of lands of the ATSF, and Holmes’ partner, A. The streets of Garden City were crowded with horses, wagons, buggies and teams of oxen. During the height of the boom the town had nine lumber yards. Lumber was hauled in all directions to build up inland towns and to improve the nearby homesteads.
Thirteen drug stores were in operation, and the town had two daily newspapers. Nearly everyone used kerosene lamps, and a few were placed on posts on Main Street. There was no city water works, so all depended on shallow wells, which were strongly alkaline. Passenger trains of two and three sections arrived daily, loaded with people, most of whom got off at Garden City.