City of Houston in 1839. The slaves settled on the Buffalo Bayou’s southern edge, constructing small shanties as houses. Brush arbors along the pdf she’s gone c m ward and borrowed churches were used as houses of worship. Several more ex-slaves leaving plantations arrived in Freedmen’s Town.
Yates and his son, Rutherford Yates, became major community leaders in the early days of the Fourth Ward. 19th century and early 20th century. White Americans did not want to settle on the land, which was swampy and prone to flooding. The settlers of Freedmen’s Town paved the streets with bricks that they hand-made themselves. An oral tradition said that in the early 20th century, members of the congregation of the Reverend Jeremiah Smith paved Andrew Street with the first bricks after the City of Houston refused to pave it. Yates, Smith, and Ned P.
Pullum were three of the major Fourth Ward area ministers. The residents provided their own services and utilities. Residents included blacksmiths, brickmakers, doctors, haberdashers, lawyers, and teachers. At the turn of the century, black ministers established businesses and churches and remained as community leaders. Fourth Ward, including Freedmen’s Town, at the turn of the century.
The Italian Americans opened small businesses and, over a period of time, acquired more and more Fourth Ward property. Many had extended mercantile credit to customers, and seized property from the customers after they failed to pay off their debts. Their descendants, as of the year 2000, continued to be the owners of many residences in the Fourth Ward. As more and more families moved in, the neighborhood increasingly became crowded. 1917 when African-American soldiers stationed in the area attacked White people. By the 1920s and 1930s the population density of Freedmen’s Town was almost six times that of the average of the entire City of Houston. Fourth Ward as the center of Houston’s African-American community.